Monday, June 13, 2011

I Love You - But Read Your Ingredients List

Staying at your parents place when they're not there to be parent-like, isn't the same at all!  I had to cook my own food, do my own dishes, wake myself up and turn all the lights off before I went to bed - may as well have been at home really.  

BUT - the snooping is waaaay easier.  

I might possibly maybe have raided my mum's closet (totally joking mum, I have no idea where your Holt skirt is, and I've never even see that new scarf that you must have left at work).  And I most definitely did raid the kitchen cupboards - and guys, you get a big fat FAIL.

I've already blogged about this - but apparently I'm going to have to repeat myself ~ read your ingredients list.  

People think if you just look at the number of calories, % of fat and carbs etc that you're getting a good summary of what you're eating.  Wrong.  Did you know that in some countries (ahem... the USA) they don't have to list trans and saturated fats - only the total fat.  There might be no trans fats listed and you then might make the reasonable assumption that there are no trans fats in the food you're about to eat.  Wrong.  Unless it says "Trans Fat 0%" then there are likely trans fats in your food.

BUT - if you read the ingredients list you might see that this food contains Hydrogenated Oil (aka trans fat).

Before I continue to berate my parents (who are avid readers of my blog and I love them very much!) let me throw in a little perspective:  My parents are all smart people (It's not a grammatical error - I have 4) and they have always raised us to eat healthily and have tried to educate us about the right things to eat.   All of them as they have aged (I know, I'm sorry but no better word is coming to mind) have exercised more, changed their diets as new nutritional facts have come to light and are probably healthier now than when I was a kid.  So if they can get this wrong, we all can.

Right - now on with the public scolding...

My peanut butter at home is just peanuts - 100% ground peanuts - seems pretty basic right? Well, my parents peanut butter has 7 ingredients, the 2nd of which is icing sugar and the 5th is Hydrogenated Oil (aka trans fat).  

They also fell for the 'healthy packaging' trick.  I don't care how many times a package says 'healthy' on it, if the 1st or 2nd ingredient is sugar - then it is clearly not healthy.  I mean let's just be sensible about this please - if your girl/boyfriend tells you they're not cheating but there are hickies all over their neck, besides from the fact that you must be dating a 16 year old - they are clearly cheating.  

Okay - I am done. 


No comments:

Post a Comment